Chào các bạn, hôm nay IELTS Fighter sẽ giới thiệu đến các bạn những idioms cực hay theo chủ đề để các bạn tham khảo và học tập nhé. Những Idioms được sử dụng đúng cách và theo chủ đề phù hợp sẽ giúp bài thi của bạn ấn tượng, thể hiện được sự hiểu biết rộng rãi hơn đấy nhé. Hôm nay, số Idiom đầu tiên sẽ giới thiệu với các bạn 22 Idioms về Happiness and Joy.
Tham khảo bài viết khác:
Topic Happiness thường gặp trong bài thi Speaking với những câu hỏi như Describe one thing/ a event that make you happy? Khi đó, các bạn cần diễn tả niềm vui của bạn về điều gì đó hay sự kiện, sự việc nào đó. Nếu chỉ sử dụng những câu thông thường thì sẽ khá nhàm chán, dùng thêm Idiom sẽ càng ấn tượng và đạt điểm cao hơn. Mình giới thiệu đến các bạn 2 Idioms nổi bật trong video dưới đây và thêm 20 idioms khác nữa để tham khảo nhé.
1. Get a kick out of something = Enjoy doing smt every much: Bạn rất thích làm gì
E.g: I get a kick out of podcasts
2 . Over the moon – to be extremely pleased or happy: cảm thấy cực kỳ hạnh phúc, vui vẻ
E.g: I was over the moon when I passed my speaking test.
E.g: I have been over the moon ever since i got engaged
3. Like a dog with two tails: Nhìn rất hạnh phúc
E.g: Was he pleased? He was like a dog with two tails.
4. Full of the joys of spring (When you are energetic, cheerful and happy):Tràn đầy niềm vui, năng lượng hạnh phúc
E.g: James must have had some good news, he's full of the joys of spring today.
5. Happy as Larry
When you are as happy as Larry, you are, of course, very happy. But who is Larry? No one is certain but it is believed that 'Larry' refers to an Australian boxer called Larry Foley (1878 - 1917) who after receiving a large payment after winning a fight was described in a newspaper as being 'happy'. Somehow this description stuck and is now used all these years later.
E.g: My daughter was as happy as Larry with her birthday present.
6. On top of the world
: To feel ecstatic, enjoy great health, success.
E.g: I've been feeling on top of the world since I started doing yoga every morning.
7. On cloud nine:A person who is on cloud nine is overjoyed because something wonderful has happened.
E.g: She's been on cloud nine since she found out she is pregnant.
8. In seventh heaven: To be so happy it feels like you are in heaven.
E.g: I was in seventh heaven when I landed my dream job.
9. Having a whale of a time : To have a very good time, have an exciting or fun time
E.g: We had a whale of a time on holiday.
10. Burst with joy: To be so filled up with happiness as to be unable to contain it.
E.g: My kids burst with joy when we told them we were going to the theme park over the weekend.
[for someone] to be full to the bursting point with happiness. (To be so filled with joy as if to burst.)
E.g: When I got my grades, I could have burst with joy. Bill was not exactly bursting with joy when he got the news.
11. Buzzing : Excited for something that’s going to happen
E.g: Performing still gives him a buzz.
12. Jump for joy (= Leap for joy): To jump up because one is happy; to be euphoric, show exceptional excitement
E.g: He jumped for joy on being told the news.
13. Pride and joy: Something or someone that one is very proud of.
E.g: The bike soon became his pride and joy.
14. Weep for joy: To cry out of happiness
E.g: I wept with joy when I heard the news. ( Weep - Wept)
15. Bundle of joy (=bundle from heaven): A newborn baby
E.g: Three days after the birth, Paul and Sandra took their precious bundle of joy home.
16. Be in a transport of delight/joy: To feel extremely happy or pleased
I've been in a transport of delight ever since I got engaged—I just can't stop looking at my ring!
17. Grin from ear to ear: To have a broad, enthusiastic smile.
E.g: Tim was grinning from ear to ear when his bosses praised him during the ceremony. The kids ran around the beach in a happy frenzy, both of them grinning from ear to ear.
To smile a very wide, beaming smile.
E.g: She was grinning from ear to ear as she accepted the prize. We knew Timmy was happy because he was grinning from ear to ear.
18. Grin like a Cheshire cat: When one has a smile on his face being happy with something.
E.g: The term was popularized by the character in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I knew he had a prank planned for April Fools' Day when he arrived at work grinning like a Cheshire cat.
19. Happy camper: A happy person.
E.g: The boss came in this morning and found his hard disk trashed. He was not a happy camper.
20. A joy to behold: A thing, event, or experience that creates a profound sense of joy or elation in the spectator.
E.g: The spring flowers in this part of the country are truly a joy to behold. The play was a joy to behold, full of beauty, warmth, and wit.
21. Happy-go-lucky: Always happy or in a pleasant mood; carefree.
E.g: Arya is so happy-go-lucky that I doubt any negative thing you say would bother her.
22. Be full of the joys of spring (humorous): To be very happy.
E.g: I was full of the joys of spring when I found out that I'd gotten an A on my hardest exam.
Chúc các bạn học tập tốt nhé!
Tài liệu sử dụng từ nguồn Dictionary.